This supposedly comes from a poster for elementary school classrooms. But it applies to writers of all ages and stages, fiction and nonfiction. If you are a writer, can you answer Yes to all these? If not, then your work is not ready for publication.
TRAITS OF GOOD WRITING
- Is the writing focused on one main idea?
- Is the main idea supported with interesting details?
- Does the piece include interesting and original ideas?
- Does the beginning of the piece grab the reader’s attention?
- Are there transitions to connect ideas and details?
- Does the writing follow a logical sequence?
- Does the writer use everyday words well?
- Do the words create detailed pictures in the reader’s mind?
- Does the writer avoid repeating words?
- Are ideas expressed with strong and precise language?
- Has the writing been proofread and edited?
- Is each word spelled correctly?
- Are capitalization, grammar, and punctuation used properly?